Fact 1: We are increasingly dependent on synthetic chemicals, with global chemical production doubling since 2000 and more than 140,000 varieties in circulation.
Fact 2: Synthetic chemicals come with a significant burden of disease. Depending on the type and exposure, risks can include cancer, endocrine disruption, skin conditions, respiratory and renal issues and congenital abnormalities.
Fact 3: There are many types of synthetic chemicals we can’t avoid and it would be incredibly stressful – and basically impossible – to try and live completely free of the influence of them all.
Fact 4: There are thousands of alternatives on the market. From skincare that uses natural ingredients to organic fabrics for our clothes to filters for our tap water. If there are many, many products that we CAN’T switch out, there are also many that we CAN.
And this is where our focus should be.
Focusing on what we can’t change will just make us sicker and more stressed.
So focus on one thing each month that you can switch over.
- Perhaps this month it’s ditching your toxic perfume and making your own with essential oils.
- Maybe next month you’ll plant some micro greens so you can stop buying them.
- The month after it might be installing a filter on your kitchen tap.
- Perhaps the month after it’ll be finding a cleanser that doesn’t have microbeads.
- Maybe the month after that you’ll switch to reusable menstrual products.
Don’t overthink it.
Pick one. Make it happen.